Thursday, January 14, 2010

Recipe for Gluten Free Pizza


I am never buying pizza again!  That's what I announced to my husband upon tasting this pizza (along with "and I need to quit my job" because cooking gourmet food all the time takes awhile).  Unless someone can convince me there is something else worth trying out there, it's homemade pizza from now on.

I can't tout the many benefits of  Pamela's Wheat-Free & Gluten-Free Bread Mix enough.  For the crust of this recipe, I followed the instructions on the package of Pamela's.

This is what it looks like before you cook it:




Crust:
1/4 C oil
1 1/2 C warm water
2 T Italian Seasoning
1/2 C grated fresh Cheddar Cheese

Yield: 2 12-14 inch crusts.  Preheat oven to 375.  Combine dry mix, yeast, oil, water and Italian seasoning.  With a heavy duty stand mixer, mix on medium for 3 minutes.  Stir in cheese on low speed.  Pour 1/2 dough onto heavily greased baking sheet.  To spread dough into crust shape, use oil on hands to keep from sticking.  Let rest 1 hour.  Bake for 20 minutes on lower rack, then add sauce and toppings.  Continue baking pizza 10-15 mintues until cheese melts.




The sauce may have been the best part.
Sauce:
1 T butter
2 T olive oil
1/2 Onion, chopped
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
2 T shredded Parmesan cheese
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 tsp fennel seed

In large skillet melt butter and olive oil.  Add chopped onion and garlic, saute until soft.  Add tomato sauce and tomato paste, stir until smooth.  Add Parmesan, basil, oregano, salt, sugar, pepper, bay leaf, and fennel seeds.

Simmer 30 minutes.  Spread on pizza dough.

The toppings may have been the best part.  For our toppings, we used Isernio's fresh ground hot Italian sausage (browned in a skillet), and sliced Hot Pepperoncini.  Topped it all off with shredded mozzarella cheese.

Bake it until the cheese melts, around 15 minutes.


The crust was by far, the BEST part!  Not only will everyone say it's the best pizza they've tried, they will also never know it's gluten free.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited.....you are speaking the language of Dyl. He even went and bought gluten free bread today and loved it !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got the Pamela's Wheat-Free and Gluten-Free Bread mix I ordered through the Boca Gringa site. I'm excited to try this recipe. It sounds so wonderful. Thank you Boca Gringa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you use san marzano tomatoes? if not try them next time, there is something about them that makes the best pizza sauce! this looks great i am going to try it next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been making my own sauces (pizza/spaghetti) and not using those tomatoes but I will try them!

    ReplyDelete